Monday, December 12, 2011

Published in Issue 51 of SGVPQ


I was published last quarter in Issue 51 o the San Gabriel Valley Poetry Quarterly.

The poems was Indigestion and Red Fingernails

Here is an excerpt of part of it:

My husband is holding my hand
As I am writhing in the bed;
Wait! I can’t have a baby now,
It’s too early, he might be dead!
And now that I’m thinking of it,
I’ve not felt him move for awhile;
I’m dilated to seven?
I react with a confused smile.

I guess it’s true, we’re in labor,
That explains this horrendous pain;
Still not quite aware that my life
From now on will not be the same.
The nurses prep the tray and tools,
Ready for precise incision;
I yelled “You’re not cutting on me!”
That is my final decision.

They say “But the baby is breech,
And that is what we have to do”;
I wanted a calm water birth,
So he could then just ease on through.
My husband had to leave the room
In order to make each phone call;
I scream “Why do people do this!!!”
My hubby hears me down the hall!

No comments:

Post a Comment