Monday, March 8, 2010

PORCH SWING


I’ve always wanted a porch swing to sit in and watch the neighbors walk by;
I’ve seen it in old movies, on the porch with lemonade and homemade pie.
But you don’t see that anymore now-a-days I guess no one has the time;
Or they’re too busy working on their careers while in their prime.

Are porch swings only for the old folks, retired, and over the hill?
It seems to be the only exercise reserved for those who sit still.
Maybe lack of porch swings is the reason no one knows their neighbors;
They don’t come asking to borrow a cup of sugar or egg, or other favors.

Everyone stays inside concerned with doing their own thing,
But I’d like to be the first on my block to get a porch swing.
I’d put it to good use, and I wouldn’t be shy
To say hello and maybe chat with each passer by.


Photo by RT Norland

No comments:

Post a Comment